Current state of geological and mining science in Kyrgyzstan
Currently scientific research in the field of geology and mining is mainly conducted at the field-oriented institutes of the Academy of Science of the Kyrgyz Republic (the Institute of Geology, the Institute of Geomechanics and Mineral Resources) as well as at the Institute of Mining and Mining Technologies under the State Technical University, Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University and Jalal-Abad State University.
Order of the Red Banner of Labour of the Institute of Geology named after М.М. Adyshev
- Regional geology and minerals of the Tien Shan.
- Regional geography and geo-ecology of the Tien Shan.
Major scientific research results:
- Geodynamic and Metallogenic maps of Kyrgyzstan at a scale of 1:500000 and 1:1000000.
- The models of deposits formation as the scientific-methodological basis for prognosis evaluation of new types of complex deposits.
- Prognostic criteria for raw hydrocarbon deposits prospecting.
- Recommendations for reduction of environmental risks in the Issy-Kul and Chui oblasts.
- Natural mineral fertilizers of Kyrgyzstan were defined.
- Electronic geological database is under development.
- Natural and human impact sustainability level of the regions of Kyrgyzstan.
The Institute of Geomechanics and Mineral Resources
- Geomechanics of rock mass.
- Subsoil exploration techniques.
- Assessment, forecasting and disaster management.
Major scientific research results:
- Methods of assessment of landslide danger on mountain slopes and mitigation measures.
- Engineering and technical methods of protection against exogenic processes to ensure safety on mountain roads.
- Database of environmentally hazardous mining areas in Kyrgyzstan.
- Methods of pit wall zoning regarding stability for detection of dangerous areas.
- Control and monitoring sensors of landslide deformations and movement (extensometers) of different type and measurement range.
- Portable digital geotest meter for manual data registration regarding landslide movement.
- gGeomechanical monitoring of mountain slopes in the dam location of Toktogul Hydro-Electric Power Station.
- Zoning of large areas in Mailuu-Suu town with regard to landslide danger.
Mining science started to develop at the Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University, one of the leading universities of Kyrgyzstan, since its establishment in 1993. Currently one Academician, five Doctors of Engineering and four Candidates of Engineering work at the University.
Development of Physics of Explosions, one of the up-to-date sectors of mining science, is carried out by mining scientists at the University.
Research on mining geomechanics in the process of development of ore and coal deposits in mountainous areas of the country is continued. The principle of zonal and staged forecasting of stress of the deformed condition of rock mass was developed based on the structural analysis of tectonic faults, which allows determination of the value and orientation of principal stress axes as well as the character of variation of these parameters in space and time.
Computational modelling of stress and strain conditions of rock mass in two-dimensional and three-dimensional models was further developed. Methods of modelling the single blast and seismicity dynamic impact on distribution of stress and strain conditions of rock mass were developed and implemented. Methods of stability assessment of pit walls taking into account seismicity of the region, designing of drilling and blasting and determination of geometrical parameters of pit walls were developed.
In recent years, mining science has started to develop at the Jalal-Abad State University as well. Two Doctors of Engineering and five Candidates of Engineering work at the University.
Computational modeling of stress and strain conditions of mechanically complex rocks was developed by the mining scientists of the University. A three-dimensional computational-discrete model of stress and strain conditions of mechanically complex rocks as well as a calculation method of stress and strain conditions of pit bottoms, taking into account mechanical complexity, additional loads of equipment and horizontal tectonic forces, were developed.
Scientific basis for combined development of ore deposits using new technologies was created: combined development of pitching ore bodies; combined development of ore bodies having complex structure; combined development of ore bodies with high variation of the contour of industrial mineralization; combined development of ore bodies with rock interlayers.
Geomechanical research of stress and strain conditions of slopes in the dam location of Toktogul Hydro-Electric Power Station and on slopes with landslide danger taking into account underground water is carried out at the University.
Perspectives of mining science in Kyrgyzstan
Taking into account the limited budget of science funding, the perspectives of mining science at present are as follows:
1. Intensive development of computer modeling of geomechanical processes used during open and underground development of mineral deposits, providing wide opportunities for computational experiment and graphic representation of research results.
2. Development of mining science in the regions with developed mining industry.
3. Creation of joint research teams and laboratories with large mining enterprises at pits and mines.
4. Development of international collaboration by organizing international conferences in the republic under the circumstances where there are limited financial resources allocated for participation in international conferences and symposiums as well as participation in joint integration projects implemented in CIS countries.